Monday 12 December 2011

A trip to Kobe: Takarazuka style



Sylvanian Family store!
Yesterday was a really good day Myself and 12 other ALTs joined a bus load of Japanese middle-aged women on a day trip to Kobe! The main event?? A Takarazuka show in the evening. Before I go into that, I will tell you a little bit more about the afternoon first. After a 3 hour (yawn) bus ride, we finally arrived in Kobe, and the biggest (and also first) shopping outlet I have seen since coming to Japan. *cue big grins all around*. Although there were a great number of shops to rummage around, including intriguingly named shops such as ‘A Bathing Ape Pirate Store’, I actually only managed to go to 3 shops!! The reason?! We happened to head into the Gap Outlet store first! Well that was it wasn’t it?! After quickly ducking out to find the nearest cash point, I was back, money in hand, for the next hours shopping!! Now usually I never shop in Gap – clothes I find too expensive for something I can get far cheaper in Primark, however, as there is no Primark in Japan, and this was an outlet centre, I dug straight in and (very rarely for me) bought everything I tried on! Woops! Luckily, for some reason, we got 30% off the already discounted items! Yatta!!! 
New shoes =D
I then quickly made my way to the Vans shop (a popular shoe shop) tried on one pair and bought (again for an extremely discounted rate that I have seen anyway else!) Feeling very pleased with myself I paused at the entrance of the Sylvanian families shop! Which I think I was the only person who was excited about it! So a good shop and a quick McDonalds later, we were back on the bus headed for Takarazuka.

 
For those who don’t know (which I hope would be most of you, as I only found out myself a few days ago! Takarazuka are an all female cast who have performed a variety of extravagant musicals. The story this time around?! An adaptation of the film ‘Ocean’s 11’! Now you’re probably thinking, “How the hell can you do Ocean’s 11 as a musical?!” and you are not alone in this thought as I thought it too. However, put a bunch of extremely talented women together, throw in some catchy songs and blast it with an unbelievably complex set and stage involving moving side panels, countless slot machines and a rotating stage that allows rooms to appear from the floor, then said film can indeed be done, as was proven last night. I don’t think I have been specific enough in describing the actors of these productions. Takarazuka, like I said before, is made up of an entirely female cast, this meaning that all male roles are played by women, those who know the film will be aware just how many men are in it! I can hear you all thinking now “Well I’m sure they’re ok, but you will still very much be able to tell that these are women.” WRONG! From the moment the leading ‘lady’ appeared on stage and started to talk, you immediately forgot that she was in fact a woman, having to remind yourselves countless times throughout the performance. Her voice was incredible! She had the perfect ‘male’ pitch that made you 100% believe that this was in fact a man. Body language and correct clothing included, and you had an extremely suave man at that!
I ended up being very much in love with the 'guy' on the far left!
I think this is the point of the Takarazuka, not only do they portray men, they portray the ‘ideal’ man for any Japanese woman: suave, attractive, confident, and a brilliant singing voice. If, by the end of the performance, you haven’t fallen for at least one of the ‘men’ on stage, then I would suggest you were not watching properly, I myself came away very much in love with one of the characters! So a hour bus journey home, with purchases and memories ending an absolutely brilliant Sunday, and to anyone who heads to Japan, I would HIGHLY recommend you going to see a Takarazuka show, the only words of warning?!... Go to see something you know the story of unless you are capable of understanding Japanese, otherwise it will make for a rather confusing visit, but still fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment