Friday 2 September 2011

School lunches

Well, I have the time so I might as well add another post tonight!
If you hadn't guessed already from the title, I'm just going to tell you a bit about my experience with school dinners so far....
I've only had 2, but so far so good, although I've yet to finish one as they somehow fill me up straight away! I think maybe it might be because I am not entirely sure what I am eating, which makes everything a little bit more stressful and unnerving. However, when I came to Japan I was determined to try everything given to  me, and to be fair to myself that's what I have done, even when everyone in the staffroom seems to have half an eye on me to see what food might be my breaking point!
So, around 12:30 (well 11:30 today because of the typhoon) lunch gets delivered to the staffroom by the teachers whose turn it is to serve up. We all get given a carton of milk (that I can cope with) and a little tray with different sections for different food. I almost feel like I'm back in primary school, except switch the chips with rice and the turkey dinosaur with some unexplained bowl of stew?!!?
Yesterday I was given some soft ball things with possibly octopus in them - though I'm not entirely sure, just ate one whole and nodded approvingly at the sensei next to me who was carefully watching.
Ok, so above is my lunch today (yes I did feel like a bit of a prune, taking a picture of it!) So.. the rice I can identify. I believe the bowl had egg(?), carrot, meat of some description and other such unknown items. It was very nice, but rather sickly. The portion I barely touched is the one at the top.. it had cabbage(?) and pickle(?) but the overriding taste was that of fish, as I believe the little white straggly bits are actually prawns(?!?) Little white things with a black blobby eye - very unappealing and needless to say, rather untouched!
The most interesting part of the meal today was that of the dessert pot, a mixture of apple jelly with a middle of apple ice?! No clue. Very nice, but sickly again and by that point the whole meal had been rather overwhelming so I didn't finish it!

Anyway, I may update this post at a later date if I find anything of note to mention. There is the possibility of more photos as well, though feeling like a complete pleb may put me off slightly!

Fingers crossed for more recognisable food on Monday!

The tastiest rice I've ever eaten along with unknown blobs of....?!


**************************UPDATE******************************

Good news on the food front! Today (after almost passing out from hunger) I managed to eat my entire lunch! Woop! Though I guess it wasn’t much of a challenge today. Standard milk, seaweed and something salad, spaghetti with prawns, bacon, peas, carrots, and an unknown substance, and finally the saviour of the simple bread roll! Heaven. Hopefully I will be able to keep it up!

****************************************************************
Tues 13th September

First of all can I just point out that this is a lot of rice!! How do they expect me to finish all my food with all that rice?!! Ok.. secondly.. needless to say I did not manage to finish the things in the bottom right... they were battered/fried fish.. whole fish.. bones and all.... no thank you!.. This was unfortunately picked up on by the other teachers and all I could say to them was 'I had 1!'... gross
***************************************************************
Weds 14th Sept

Exciting news everyone... look mum, all gone!

Plus we had dessert today consisting on sugared bread (basically a donut! Very nice!)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - what a trial with all those colleagues watching on. Looks intriguing, though in some cases probably best not to know what it was in its raw state. Had a similar experience in Singapore one time when I was feeling adventurous at dinner time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave girl!! But at least it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm don't think it is free, but I've yet to work out how we pay! Haha. Hmmmm I've found that octopus is ok dad - if not a bit chewy - but I'm not a fan of squid! xx

    ReplyDelete