Monday 2 April 2012

Beauty and the Beast - Tokushima Style!

Well what a busy few months it has been for me!
Back in November(?) the call went out for all those interested in taking part in the annual AJET musical in Tokushima. Scripts were posted online and an official date was set for the read-through and auditions at the end of November. Now it may be unknown to some of you, but I have been in a fair few productions (however amateur) in my lifetime and know just how fun they can be, so I figured I would read through the script, go to the official read-through and see who else was planning on being in the musical. After all, what better way to become better acquainted with the other ALTs out here, (whether JETs or not) plus a few local residents who enjoy being part of the musical to meet with foreign residents, than having a good old giggle putting on a musical.
Our rather nice poster!
The musical in question? Beauty and the Beast.

So let me give you a bit of information and background on this annual event. For the past 18 years, members of the JET community and local residents have come together to create a show to be performed in various venues across Tokushima. The script consists of both Japanese and English dialogue and uses simple language that should be easily accessible to Junior High School students. From writing the script, directing and producing, all roles and responsibilities are held and dealt with by the various volunteers who give up every weekend from the beginning of January to performances at the end of March in order to create a musical that is fun and enjoyable to all those who come to watch.

Actually I don't really want to talk too much about background and that as I don't think there's a lot to say. If you want a tiny bit more information then feel free to visit the official AJET Tokushima musical website (you might as well, it has lots of pretty pictures!):
http://www.ajetmusical.com/index.html

Anyway, so after going to the read-through, and pretentiously auditioning for the main character, I went home to await the result of what I would be doing for the next few months.

And what a few months it was! Happily I was cast as Belle and so I knew that for the next few months, every weekend, I would be learning lines, blocking scenes and singing songs as well as having a generally good laugh with all those involved.

Those who have been involved in something like this in the past will be aware of the time commitments and sometimes the complete frustration you feel at having to be at rehearsals doing the same thing over and over again. There were times where I would wake up in the morning and dread having to spend another day in a freezing cold school gym, trying to look like I couldn't be happier with the 'little town' I had grown up in, whilst others behind me sang about just how strange I really was.
However, being in a production like this with and intense rehearsal schedule does make you become closer to the people you are with as everyone appreciates that there are just some days that you really just need your space, but then other days when you laugh so much on stage that you can't get a simple 'ohayou' out of your mouth.

Anyway, despite all the bitching, moaning and downright grumpiness sometimes displayed (and not just by me I would hastily like to add), ultimately the entire experience was worth it. I definitely feel like I have become closer to all those involved and I feel really proud of what we accomplished. The musical this year went down a storm, earning more donations that previous musicals had got and overall I am extremely proud that I decided to take time out of exploring Japan and could actually try and give something back to the community which I have felt so grateful to have been accepted in.

Ok so blah blah blah, enough of me talking. I'll just leave you with a few pictures that I feel sums up my last few months worth of weekends. Enjoy!
the cast on our last perfomance


taking a break
freezing cold at rehearslas but still smiling...
still smiling... but much, much warmer!


another break...

ok, I'll admit, sometimes there were more breaks than time rehearsing!



standard pose!

we even made the paper! Get in!

1 comment: